Red White and Blue Cupcakes Recipes for the 4th of July - Just for Fun

Red White and Blue Cupcakes Recipes for the 4th of July

Red White and Blue Cupcakes Recipes for Memorial Day
Happy Independence Day… early!  These cupcakes were going to be my Fourth of July treat, but all my nieces and nephews are coming today and I wanted them to get to enjoy them too.   So I’m a week early.  I’m pretty sure I won’t hear any complaints.

My kids were so excited over these, I barely got to frost them before their hands were reaching to snatch them away from me.  They loved biting into them and seeing all that color.  And who wouldn’t?  These are a perfect dessert to have at a Fourth of July picnic or party, don’t you think?  Make enough for the grown-ups too.  They’re hard to resist.

To help speed things along, I used a boxed cake mix.  The white cake is a good palette for the colors.  I divided the mix into thirds, and added red and blue to two bowls.  I just layered each color into each cupcake liner and voila.  I found the cute cupcake liners in the dollar section at Target, so I was lovin’ that.  Super frugal dessert with a huge presentation.  (The sprinkles were from a pack of Christmas sprinkles – I just took out the green trees that were included.)

Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes Recipe

  • 1 box of white cake mix  (I used Pillsbury)
  • Wilton red (no taste) gel
  • Wilton royal blue gel
  • buttercream icing
  • sprinkles
Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes Recipe
Follow the directions on the box to mix the cake batter.  Divide equally into three bowls.  Leave one bowl white, and add gel colorings to the other bowls to get red and blue.  Layer the batters into your cupcake liners by the spoonful.  You can be neat with flat layers or just goop it in for a more swirly effect.  Follow the box’s instructions for cupcake baking time.  (My box said I should get 24 cupcakes, but I only got 18.)

Vanilla Buttercream Icing Recipe


  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 5-6 Tbsp. milk

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.  Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency.  Yields about 3 cups

Share with your friends

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done