Simple Denim Aprons for Mother's Day Gifts! - Just for Fun

Simple Denim Aprons for Mother's Day Gifts!

I decided that this is going to be a Denim week so I thought I would continue on with some more Jean Ideas. If you have some jeans that wont fit here is something fun to try!

I was thinking this would be fun to make for my son's teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week that is coming up in May. I also think this would be a very cute gift for Mother's Day for my mom. She is always crafting with my daughter. It would be fun to make them matching ones to keep at her house.

Here is the front and back view.  Isnt it cute?




How to?

You cut the behind part of the jeans off to use as the font of your apron, leaving the back two pockets intact to use for towels, utensils, etc.

Then cut a 3-4 inch piece of fabric to the length you will need for your edges (Dont forget to leave 8-10 inches extra if you are ruffling it!) and hem one edge under.  My Grandma used a Zig-Zag stitch and I think it is really cute.

Then sew fabric onto the edges in a ruffle or straight seam.  Mine is ruffled and the little one is straight.  For the ruffle I would just put the right sides together and sew in a zig zag tucking here and there for the ruffle effect.  If you are more of a seamstress you could adjust the tension very loose and make the ruffle on your machine, then sew it on.  For the straight seam, the fabric looks like she just folded it over the denim and sewed it on with a straight stitch.  Easy, easy...haha, but we should never say that in sewing!

Then you have to sew on some fabric to tie it on with. Ours are only long enough to tie in a knot, not a bow.  It is about 16-18 inches from the denim on each side.  To make the tie just cut a strip of fabric about 4 inches wide.  The fold it in half the long way and sew it together with the wrong side out.  Leave one end open.  Then turn it right side out and you are ready to sew it on.  It is sewn onto the top section of the denim.  The top of the ruffle is folded over and then zig-zagged onto the tie.

If you have any questions leave me a comment!  I am a guesser at sewing so my instructions may not be all that clear!!

Happy Crafting to You!

Share with your friends

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done