Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas and Tips - Just for Fun

Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas and Tips

One of my favorite things to do during the Holiday Season is decorate the Christmas tree! I've always had a real tree, so I plan to continue the "real tree" tradition with my children as well. I just love the smell of a real Christmas tree, and of course going and chopping down your own tree is always a fun adventure!

As I've gotten older my preference for Christmas tree decor has evolved. Gone are the days that I would spread mass amounts of silver tinsel all over the tree...which happened to be my favorite part of decorating the tree as a child.

I've been doing a little research on different and unique ways to decorate a Christmas tree and I thought I'd share these ideas with all of you!

Ribbon or Garland?

One thing that has changed in how I decorate my Christmas tree is that I now use ribbon instead of traditional garland. I think that the ribbon just gives a more sophisticated look. I've noticed that they have actually started selling a wide variety of ribbons right in the Christmas tree decorating aisles. The good thing about ribbon is that you can get it in a variety of designs and textures, so you have a little more creative room than you would with garland. Another fun option would be to make decorative popcorn garland with the kiddos! I remember making popcorn garland for our Christmas tree when I was younger, and it was a really fun family activity. Beaded garland is another option that has been gaining popularity. I recently saw some wooden beaded garland at the store (after I had already decorated my tree) and thought that it would add a really unique touch to the tree!

Burlap Garland!

I really love this idea from HGTV of using burlap as garland on the tree. It gives it a real country feel, which I'm a big fan of. You could also decorate outdoor trees using this burlap garland idea and adding some simple white lights. I also came across the idea of adding some burlap bows onto your tree, which is another cute and creative way to add a little country feel to your Christmas tree. I've seen various sizes of burlap garland (ribbon) sold in the craft section at my local Walmart, but I'm sure you could probably find it at almost any craft store.

Hanging Garland Vertically

This idea is pretty new to me, but makes perfect sense! Most people wrap garland around the tree, but why not try hanging the garland vertically from the top of the tree? What a unique idea! You can either tie off the garland at the top of the tree to a few branches (depending on the type of garland you are using) or you can use wire to attach the garland to the top of the tree to keep it in place. Try to weave the garland around the branches as it hangs down the tree to give it a little more character so that it's not sitting flat on the tree's surface. This method seems just as easy as wrapping the garland around the tree (maybe even easier!).

Something Different

Wow, take a look at this beauty of a tree! This tree makes a really bold statement, and there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously you could go with any colors you prefer, but I really like this hot pink and metallic combo. Unlike other artificial Christmas trees, this tree is actually made of strands of aluminum. This would be a great tree to leave up for New Years because it reminds me of all the sparkle and glitz of New Years Eve celebrations!

Advent Christmas Tree

This is a great idea! An actual advent Christmas tree that children can "undecorate" as the days pass. There is a number for each day leading up to Christmas starting December 1st. You can add the advent ornaments right in with your regular Christmas ornaments to keep the tree from getting too bare by Christmas. The pictures shows a smaller Christmas tree, but this idea would work great for a full-sized tree as well. The ornaments pictured are actually little numbered ribbon pouches. You could also try making your own little stocking ornaments out of felt (or some other crafting fabric) and just place a small piece of paper with the advent idea inside of the stocking ornament.

Fill your advent ornaments with fun traditions or activities for the whole family to enjoy. It will really help build Christmas spirit and children will love being able to unwrap a new advent ornament each day leading up to Christmas.

The Gardening Christmas Tree

For all of you gardening enthusiasts out there, this would be the perfect tree trimming idea! Take old or vintage garden seed packets and turn them into ornaments for your tree, what an easy and affordable way to incorporate the hobby of gardening into Christmas. Use burlap or ribbon to spruce up the old seed packets. Actually, the burlap garland idea would go wonderfully with these seed packet ornaments!

Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas










Share with your friends

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done